Apart from the massage course, horses have taken a backseat while I’ve been spending my ‘holiday’ helping the OH look after his boat.
While I was sat varnishing, it occurred to me how similar the two hobbies are. Here’s why:
1) New stuff – whether its a new matchy matchy outfit or a navigation system there are always items on the wish list.
2) A problem – like a horse, a boat is never perfect. From the electronics to the rigging, there’s always something that’s not quite right.
3) Opinions – trying to mend something? Thinking about going sailing? Looking at a new bit of kit? Everyone has an opinion and are willing to share it.
4) Tea and biscuits (or beer) – the most popular person at the marina/yard, is the person with drinks and snacks.
5) The chat – it’s not just the amount of chatting that takes place (and the severity with which it is defended!) but the subject of it: how are you? How’s your horse/boat? Have you taken your horse/boat out? Where did you go? The patterns of conversation are exactly the same.
*edit: the OH just added the 6th and probably most obvious: expensive!!